Hosting question?

Anything related to web developing
kilo watt
Level 5

Hosting question?

Post by kilo watt » May 18th, 2008, 12:00 am

So I'm new to all this domain registering / hosting stuff. And today I've registered my first domain name. The site I thought was going to host it (same site I registered it from), is not going to unless I do the 9.95/mo fee. So if I refuse to let them Host my site, am I even going to be able to run it at all? I believe I'd need a server in order to do so, but I haven't gotten this far in college yet, so I really don't know.
3rd Infantry Division

Kupo!
Level 6

Re: Hosting question?

Post by Kupo! » May 18th, 2008, 1:50 am

you just need a webhost, and the ability to change your nameservers (which you should have - log in and see if you can change them).

If you want really cheap hosting and don't need a ton of space, check out hole in the wall hosting (http://www.holeinthewallhosting.com). Only $10/year and you get 400 meg and plenty of bandwidth/etc. Sign up, they will send you the info, and change your nameservers, get an FTP client, and you are in business.

Have fun!

kilo watt
Level 5

Post by kilo watt » May 18th, 2008, 2:40 am

I have an FTP an such, Right now I think I'm waiting for paypal to do it's payment clearing thing. And after that I'll have the site.. So after payment is complete, I should receive account info right? or am I missing something here. When you say nameserver, that goes beyond my knowledge of hosting I'm afraid. I did not have to register in order to get the domain name.
3rd Infantry Division

Kupo!
Level 6

Post by Kupo! » May 18th, 2008, 11:15 am

go to the page of whoever you registered your domain through (if you did this). When you recieve your info from hole in the wall, and they will have a whole list of info in the email (your ftp, etc) and one set of this informatin will be your nameservers. You need to somehow log in to who you hosted your domain with, and you should have the option to change your nameservers somewhere in their menu. Just copy/paste the nameserver link from your email, and your domain will point to your hosting.

I'm not sure who you host your domain through, so I have no idea how it will work, but they should have some way of changing the nameservers. If worse comes to worse, send them an email and ask.

kilo watt
Level 5

Post by kilo watt » May 18th, 2008, 2:46 pm

Ok I see now. I guess I'll receive my servername info and account info after paypal is done doing its shit. After that I'll just sign up with holeinthewall.

Q. How long does it take to setup my account?
A. Your account will be setup automatically within 15 minutes of ordering.
3rd Infantry Division

Kupo!
Level 6

Post by Kupo! » May 18th, 2008, 2:49 pm

are you paying via electronic check or something? I had my account within 24 hours of signing up. It's a sweet little service for $10/year. Totally worth it.

kilo watt
Level 5

Post by kilo watt » May 18th, 2008, 4:23 pm

I don't believe so. But it's pretty annoying how it has to "clear" me every time I buy something. Takes a few days. I'll have my site by the 21st.
3rd Infantry Division

Return to “Web Development”