EGBDL Fall 2017 Setup

Moderator: EEL

RaeRae
EG Staff

EGBDL Fall 2017 Setup

Post by RaeRae » September 5th, 2017, 8:28 pm

Fall EGBDL is a DRAFT baseduel league that will run for the majority of the end of 2017. Players will be given a vp rating, determined by a panel of players. The official ranking system is currently under consideration, but most likely will be 1-5vps. Further clarification will be announced.

With a twist, each squad will consist of two types of teams within itself: "Varsity" and "JV". The varsity team will consist of higher vp players, while the JV team will be those who are considered the lower half of the rating scale. Tuesday evening (~5:00pm EST), the Varsity team will play a scheduled match vs their designated opponent. Thursday evening will be JV's match. Each of these weekday games will have a minimum of 3v3 players.

Sunday games will be a mix of both Varsity and JV. There will be a VP limit for each squad during Sunday only (limit TBD, will be based off of average VP rating). We will default the Sunday games to 5v5 if squads are able.

Weekday games will be just as important as Sunday games. Depending on how many squads we end up getting, those with the top amount of points will move forward to playoffs and/or finals.

Hopefully this setup helps with population count on weekdays, as well as those forgotten mid/lower vps that were never able to play in previous leagues.

More details/rules will be available soon.

Player Signups Here: viewtopic.php?f=359&t=33351

GM Signups Here: viewtopic.php?f=359&t=33352
RaeRae*

Golfer.
Level 3

Re: EGBDL Fall 2017 Setup

Post by Golfer. » September 6th, 2017, 1:50 am

Should just have all games played on Sunday
6:5150> when i asked world he said " sec let me talk to my coders... 5 seconds go by then he says YEP they can do it "

Lee
Level 10

Post by Lee » September 6th, 2017, 5:40 am

Once again, please do not use VPs like this anymore, they are just not correct at this stage of EG. Nomatter who rates, they will be biased and not correct and in baseduel, vp mistakes are way more costly than in flagging. Almost all the mvp low vps in last league were infact old vets. It is not correct.
Instead use very simple and basic system. After draft, split the roster into 2 parts. Those picked in first half are considered top pilots, those in bottom half, low tier pilots. Easy and no one can complain as GMs themselves were responsible for that (with making picks in actual draft).
Secondly, having possibility to have mid-week games is great idea, making it mandatory, is a very bad idea. I agree, weekly games should be there, but just give squads chance to play against each other any time and winner receives 1 point for each game. Those points can be later on used as tiebreakers.
Winning scheduled game should be worth more, maybe 20 points or so? Unscheduled games should have no vp rules, scheduled games should have vp rules .
Why not have best of 3 system, where in schedule games u need to play 1 round with no vp rules, 1 round with at least 1 low tier in game and 1 game with at least 2 low tiers in game if needed to decide the game. Would be interesting, could be also other way round, where deciding round will have 0 rules to please the ignorant vets like eel/gaz who insisted of screwing with mid/low-tiers in last league.
BOMBED> i dropped out cuz school is gay as fck
BOMBED> education overrated
Sephiroth> wish i could get half naked with my sister n post pics
Sephiroth> it is the truth

gaZ
Level 5

Post by gaZ » September 6th, 2017, 7:56 am

Um, I just GM'ed last bd league. I'm ignorant because I made the best low round pick in the draft? Foh

RaeRae
EG Staff

Post by RaeRae » September 6th, 2017, 9:25 am

Lee wrote:
September 6th, 2017, 5:40 am
Once again, please do not use VPs like this anymore, they are just not correct at this stage of EG. Nomatter who rates, they will be biased and not correct and in baseduel, vp mistakes are way more costly than in flagging. Almost all the mvp low vps in last league were infact old vets. It is not correct.
Instead use very simple and basic system. After draft, split the roster into 2 parts. Those picked in first half are considered top pilots, those in bottom half, low tier pilots. Easy and no one can complain as GMs themselves were responsible for that (with making picks in actual draft).
Secondly, having possibility to have mid-week games is great idea, making it mandatory, is a very bad idea. I agree, weekly games should be there, but just give squads chance to play against each other any time and winner receives 1 point for each game. Those points can be later on used as tiebreakers.
Winning scheduled game should be worth more, maybe 20 points or so? Unscheduled games should have no vp rules, scheduled games should have vp rules .
Why not have best of 3 system, where in schedule games u need to play 1 round with no vp rules, 1 round with at least 1 low tier in game and 1 game with at least 2 low tiers in game if needed to decide the game. Would be interesting, could be also other way round, where deciding round will have 0 rules to please the ignorant vets like eel/gaz who insisted of screwing with mid/low-tiers in last league.
I thought about doing the split and was originally going to go with it, but the worry is that those last half of the group could comprise of people who are picked last due to being essentially worthless. So if there's say 12 people per squad, 6 per team, 3 of the lower tiered don't show and are repeat offenders, you're stuck with relying on just 3 people to carry the JV team. At least with this, GMs can look at the list and draft lower tiered players that at least show up. If GMs don't understand this, well then it'll be a tough season for them due to lack of brain cells. With this rating system, since it's not the standard 1-10, there should hopefully be more 2 and 3's than 4's and 5's. I don't want to inflate players rankings due to how they show anymore. Learned that last time it backfires hard.

As for weekday games, if the scheduled weekday games don't work out, I'm willing to bend the rules and make them "unscheduled" but mandatory. However this is something new I want to try. Just like Sundays, if players know they need to be there, they will show.
RaeRae*

Optimal
Level 8

Post by Optimal » September 6th, 2017, 10:07 am

imo it is only important to rate high tier players, make a selective group of high tiers.

Perhaps a new way of rating players is in order here.

Current High tiers can be named Pro tier while those not ranked Pro tier can be named Challengers. No1 likes to get called low or mid tier, some dont care but its a nicer way to name and rank players.

Im not feelng much for a draft myself, id rather play glydes tourny but every scared to sign up cause they know theyll get wrecked by C S G O who has Diamond tier players like bacon and me. W didnt stack it tho, we still have kush and ronan who are respectzble mid tiers like squapple.

Every league we played for the last few years has been draft and its rly annoying tbh. Any other team can stack, i dont care, we wont stack to keep it fair.
Viper Squadron Image

Smoking Blue

Lee
Level 10

Post by Lee » September 6th, 2017, 2:14 pm

gaZ wrote:
September 6th, 2017, 7:56 am
Um, I just GM'ed last bd league. I'm ignorant because I made the best low round pick in the draft? Foh
You are ignorant because of egdl setup and rules rofl. Did u even read what i wrote? I am talking about LAST LEAGUE, that was egdl not last baseduel league.

Optimal
Level 8

Post by Optimal » September 6th, 2017, 3:00 pm

mock squads

So ive came up with the idea to make some mock squads and see what the general view on these would be and if people would approve of it.

Squad A Finite, Renowned, Taunt, Poemzx, F0rcer// rabbit, Attack Mode, Mini, PJ, terminator 17.5//

Squad B Eel, Omega Red, h4b, Iceboss, Romeo// disturbalance, Groan, Cape, Gaz, Yakuza//

Squad C Azela, Thecript, pocho, Hoontar, Art of War// unplug, Boogyman, Mangled, Jaxen, Tryo//

Squad D Monty python, Clutch, Ioth, Dazz, Rushmore// unlimited, WilsonC, Devy, Lb ass, Mopy//

Squad E Spike, Mercedes, Pao, combo, Lee// Nosydawg, medig, Weby, Ag$, DBZ//

Squad F Bacon, Ronan, squapple, Kush, Eating Blue// Kaiori, 1l, The_nme, Glyde, Nicedreams//

I think these teams are pretty fair. First 5 being High tier, then second 5 being challenger tier. Challenger team is difficult to create tho and i probaly missed some players and theres still alot lower tier players out there that sign up for leagues including players from TW but you can imagine that by yourself. This is just a base sketch of what in my opinion fair teams would look like.

I tried to take in mind players who want to play together and have been playing together for many years. I know some challenger tier players could also play in High tier but bd is only 5max so thats why i put them second or i forgot them and tried to put them in later.

Maybe we can try some of these teams in an event to see how it works if most people agree
Viper Squadron Image

Smoking Blue

Lee
Level 10

Post by Lee » September 6th, 2017, 3:38 pm

RaeRae wrote:
September 6th, 2017, 9:25 am
Lee wrote:
September 6th, 2017, 5:40 am
I thought about doing the split and was originally going to go with it, but the worry is that those last half of the group could comprise of people who are picked last due to being essentially worthless. So if there's say 12 people per squad, 6 per team, 3 of the lower tiered don't show and are repeat offenders, you're stuck with relying on just 3 people to carry the JV team. At least with this, GMs can look at the list and draft lower tiered players that at least show up. If GMs don't understand this, well then it'll be a tough season for them due to lack of brain cells. With this rating system, since it's not the standard 1-10, there should hopefully be more 2 and 3's than 4's and 5's. I don't want to inflate players rankings due to how they show anymore. Learned that last time it backfires hard.

As for weekday games, if the scheduled weekday games don't work out, I'm willing to bend the rules and make them "unscheduled" but mandatory. However this is something new I want to try. Just like Sundays, if players know they need to be there, they will show.
In any draft you host, you will have people who will be picked early and every draft you have last rounds. In splitting, low tier group will be MOST FAIR, as it is actually based on organic voting from GMs. Noone can complain. If u base it on VPS, the last picks will be people who are generally just bad (as it would be also with the low tier group with split system) but also people who got OVERRATED by random bunch of people making them not able to play league. I cannot see any way how the rating would be better at this stage of EG. Like last egbdl johnson was mid tier, dc shoe was low tier. In reality, both are similar quality players, but one was made ultimate starter, other was benched entire season. This is just not fair and with people being on-off, aliasing and other stuff, how can you really create fair ratings in 2017.

Also i absolutely do not understand this 2 squad format, it just ends with massive noshows and pissed people. If u want to involve more people, just play with game rules. I really liked one league where u had to use at least 6 different players over the course of match. INclude some low vp rule there and u get a diverse and interesting league.
Also EG never had scheduled matches on weekdays even during 300+ population days. Why? most games take place 3-4pm est, arent people actually in school/working etc in US (biggest playerbase) at that hour? how can u expect them to show lol...

Golfer.
Level 3

Post by Golfer. » September 6th, 2017, 3:56 pm

Optimal wrote:
September 6th, 2017, 3:00 pm
mock squads

So ive came up with the idea to make some mock squads and see what the general view on these would be and if people would approve of it.

Squad A Finite, Renowned, Taunt, Poemzx, F0rcer// rabbit, Attack Mode, Mini, PJ, terminator 17.5//

Squad B Eel, Omega Red, h4b, Iceboss, Romeo// disturbalance, Groan, Cape, Gaz, Yakuza//

Squad C Azela, Thecript, pocho, Hoontar, Art of War// unplug, Boogyman, Mangled, Jaxen, Tryo//

Squad D Monty python, Clutch, Ioth, Dazz, Rushmore// unlimited, WilsonC, Devy, Lb ass, Mopy//

Squad F Bacon, Ronan, squapple, Kush, Eating Blue// Kaiori, 1l, The_nme, Glyde, Nicedreams//

I think these teams are pretty fair. First 5 being High tier, then second 5 being challenger tier. Challenger team is difficult to create tho and i probaly missed some players and theres still alot lower tier players out there that sign up for leagues including players from TW but you can imagine that by yourself. This is just a base sketch of what in my opinion fair teams would look like.

I tried to take in mind players who want to play together and have been playing together for many years. I know some challenger tier players could also play in High tier but bd is only 5max so thats why i put them second or i forgot them and tried to put them in later.

Maybe we can try some of these teams in an event to see how it works if most people agree
That's a pretty good idea... teams look balanced - we should consider giving it a shot the following Sunday after finals with the consideration in mind that 3 vs 3 will be allowed if 2 people from one squad don't show up
6:5150> when i asked world he said " sec let me talk to my coders... 5 seconds go by then he says YEP they can do it "

gaZ
Level 5

Post by gaZ » September 7th, 2017, 6:22 am

Lee wrote:
September 6th, 2017, 2:14 pm
gaZ wrote:
You are ignorant because of egdl setup and rules rofl. Did u even read what i wrote? I am talking about LAST LEAGUE, that was egdl not last baseduel league.

yeah, i'm literate.

"gaz who insisted of screwing with mid/low-tiers in last league."

?

Lee
Level 10

Post by Lee » September 7th, 2017, 8:55 am

gaZ wrote:
September 7th, 2017, 6:22 am
Lee wrote:
September 6th, 2017, 2:14 pm
gaZ wrote:

yeah, i'm literate.

"gaz who insisted of screwing with mid/low-tiers in last league."

?
Yes, you didnt? By removing vps or tiers you effectively permbenched majority of low/mid tier players. Cannot of course prove it, but i am pretty sure it played also big part in having such lousy show ups. People show up and are motivated if they have chance to play. It is the case in all leagues.

Optimal
Level 8

Post by Optimal » September 7th, 2017, 10:37 am

Golfer. wrote:
September 6th, 2017, 3:56 pm
Optimal wrote:
September 6th, 2017, 3:00 pm
mock squads

That's a pretty good idea... teams look balanced - we should consider giving it a shot the following Sunday after finals with the consideration in mind that 3 vs 3 will be allowed if 2 people from one squad don't show up
well you can use the challenger tier players appointed to you, they arent bad at all and are frequent bders
Viper Squadron Image

Smoking Blue

MracY
Level 2

Post by MracY » September 7th, 2017, 3:00 pm

Rename Challenger to Challenged.

Monty Python
Level 6

Post by Monty Python » September 21st, 2017, 10:28 am

i asked once and do it again: What exactly is the reason to host a boring bd league instead of another flagging league?

RaeRae
EG Staff

Post by RaeRae » September 21st, 2017, 11:34 am

Because not everybody is like you and thinks it's boring. But mostly to switch it up. Too much of one thing will tire everyone out. People already think EGDLx has lasted 5 years.
RaeRae*

Hunt for Blood
Level 3

Post by Hunt for Blood » September 21st, 2017, 6:13 pm

Have we ever done a pickup league? Have a draft a every sunday! could spice up boring bd a little
H4B
EGDLx Champ
2 EGFL wins (5 time finalist)
2 EGDL wins
1 BDL wins
Best new player at top 2005.
Nominee for best aggressive attacker 2009.

EEL
Level 8

Post by EEL » September 21st, 2017, 6:54 pm

Hunt for Blood wrote:
September 21st, 2017, 6:13 pm
Have we ever done a pickup league? Have a draft a every sunday! could spice up boring bd a little
I like this Idea, Kind of what TW did with TSL.
Grid

MracY
Level 2

Post by MracY » September 21st, 2017, 9:47 pm

Everything but baseduel will be horrible for the zone.

RaeRae
EG Staff

Post by RaeRae » September 22nd, 2017, 10:40 am

EEL wrote:
September 21st, 2017, 6:54 pm
Hunt for Blood wrote:
September 21st, 2017, 6:13 pm
I like this Idea, Kind of what TW did with TSL.
Could be interesting as like a mini tourney. Have dedicated captains... might do something like this post-egbdl.
RaeRae*

Monty Python
Level 6

Post by Monty Python » September 27th, 2017, 10:16 am

but bd'ing is the only thing ppl do nowadays. would be more logical to get a flagging league i you wanna mix it up. this way its only bd under the week, bd on sunday.

RaeRae
EG Staff

Post by RaeRae » September 27th, 2017, 2:59 pm

That's a fair criticism. I need to expand on the rules and setup and planning on doing that this week. But this league will probably be a shorter one, not the 12 weeker that we just had. We can always host pickups sundays too.
RaeRae*

Monty Python
Level 6

Post by Monty Python » September 27th, 2017, 5:26 pm

just couse I would rather see a falgging league, I#d still appreciate your effort just fyi.

Black Boy
Level 3

Post by Black Boy » October 15th, 2017, 7:14 am

is this accurate

RaeRae
EG Staff

Post by RaeRae » October 15th, 2017, 9:25 am

Black Boy wrote:
October 15th, 2017, 7:14 am
is this accurate
Me and eel have been discussing rules/setup changes. He said he was taking the notes and editing the rules during our convo. He's going to send it to me hopefully today and we'll get it posted.

So essentially it'll be Tuesday games, Thursday games, and Sunday games. Weekday games are just one round, minimum 3v3. Sunday games are best of three rounds, would like to see 5v5 but it'll be minimum 4v4. The "series" is then best of 5 total and that determines a winner for the week. So you could win Tuesday/Thursday but still lose the week if you fuck up sunday. You'll still get some points for those games won tho. ld like to see different players playing Tuesday and Thursday as well as game 1 and 2 on Sunday, so that no one is benched This is something were going to watch and determine if it's even feasible due to low signups.

Starting times for weekday games are 6pm est as of right now. I know this is controversial but we're going to watch population over preseason and week 1 and we can make adjustments. We might even have Tuesday games start at 6 and Thursday start at 9pm est or something. Again, were going with data and population peaks. But I don't want GMs having to agree on random times quite yet. That's last resort.
RaeRae*

Black Boy
Level 3

Post by Black Boy » October 15th, 2017, 11:22 am

me being an euro 6 pm is midnight and 9 pm est is 3 am during weekdays... dont like this change

RaeRae
EG Staff

Post by RaeRae » October 15th, 2017, 11:51 am

Black Boy wrote:
October 15th, 2017, 11:22 am
me being an euro 6 pm is midnight and 9 pm est is 3 am during weekdays... dont like this change
It's not a change and nothing is set in stone yet. So don't worry, we'll try to find a nice ground that works for everyone.
RaeRae*

Return to “EGBDL Fall 2017”