NEW LEAGUE ANNOUNCEMENT: EGDLx 2017

Extreme Games Draft League x 2017
GAZ!
Level 5

Re: NEW LEAGUE ANNOUNCEMENT: EGDLx 2017

Post by GAZ! » May 4th, 2017, 5:59 pm

How would you feel if I got rid of freq requirements period? Play your best 8?

jaXen
Level 6

Post by jaXen » May 4th, 2017, 6:15 pm

GAZ! wrote:
May 4th, 2017, 5:59 pm
Yeah that's what I'm saying and I think eel too from the sound of it. This also makes your job easier when it comes to dealing with FAs and trying to decide if they should be low tier.
Aliases: AfghaN, jaXeN, mvp

Ioth
Level 5

Post by Ioth » May 4th, 2017, 6:20 pm

jaXen wrote:
May 4th, 2017, 6:15 pm
GAZ! wrote:
Yeah that's what I'm saying and I think eel too from the sound of it. This also makes your job easier when it comes to dealing with FAs and trying to decide if they should be low tier.
YES YES YES to this

SAVE THE LANCASTER

1:Darren> i should host prized trivia
1:Darren> thing is
1:Darren> im fking stupid

EEL
Level 8

Post by EEL » May 4th, 2017, 6:23 pm

Ioth wrote:
May 4th, 2017, 6:20 pm
jaXen wrote:
May 4th, 2017, 6:15 pm
GAZ! wrote:
YES YES YES to this
Sign me up as GM. If you make that change.
Grid

GAZ!
Level 5

Post by GAZ! » May 4th, 2017, 7:40 pm

League rules changed.

NO FREQ REQUIREMENTS.

I would have initially done it this way if I knew it would have been approved by uppers. Now that I have approval, we are eliminating the requirements all together.

Lee
Level 10

Post by Lee » May 4th, 2017, 8:28 pm

EEL wrote:
May 4th, 2017, 5:46 pm
Lee look at the last two rounds of egbdl draft and think how many of them actually showed up.

I'm going to hold out on this league unless we change the low tier system. I agree with jaxen remove tiers/vps, I'll gm if we go that route :S
2 last rounds of egbdl draft would have been totally different with no tiers.
BOMBED> i dropped out cuz school is gay as fck
BOMBED> education overrated
Sephiroth> wish i could get half naked with my sister n post pics
Sephiroth> it is the truth

EEL
Level 8

Post by EEL » May 4th, 2017, 11:24 pm

GAZ! wrote:
May 4th, 2017, 7:40 pm
League rules changed.

NO FREQ REQUIREMENTS.

I would have initially done it this way if I knew it would have been approved by uppers. Now that I have approval, we are eliminating the requirements all together.

Post the signups so far so we can get more people to sign up
Grid

RaeRae
EG Staff

Post by RaeRae » May 5th, 2017, 12:18 am

I'll change main topic post tomorrow evening when I get back to a computer as well as an ongoing list of sign ups from bot in sign up topic.
RaeRae*

Optimal
Level 8

Post by Optimal » May 5th, 2017, 1:31 pm

i just want to let yall know that the low tier on last rounds is pretty retarded IMO. We could discuss a solution tho. Perhaps a draft league with no mandatory tier requirements, or if we play each team twice we can do one time with low vps and other time without, or only tier requirement in main season but in playoffs its not needed.

Something that jst seems less biased and exploitable.
Viper Squadron Image

Smoking Blue

jaXen
Level 6

Post by jaXen » May 5th, 2017, 1:52 pm

Optimal wrote:
May 5th, 2017, 1:31 pm
i just want to let yall know that the low tier on last rounds is pretty retarded IMO. We could discuss a solution tho. Perhaps a draft league with no mandatory tier requirements, or if we play each team twice we can do one time with low vps and other time without, or only tier requirement in main season but in playoffs its not needed.

They already changed it to no requirements.

Optimal
Level 8

Post by Optimal » May 5th, 2017, 1:55 pm

ok great
Viper Squadron Image

Smoking Blue

Lee
Level 10

Post by Lee » May 5th, 2017, 2:22 pm

Optimal wrote:

Still i fcking do not understand how is low tier in last rounds retarded. People keep saying it, yet never bring out any arguments. This system actually gives us low vps, WHO ARE LOW VPS, not low vps in league ops minds.
This means GMs have to be alert entire draft, pick smart in also last rounds, rather then going full default and if implemented with mid-tier requirements would involve much large playerbase then any other league.

Lee
Level 10

Post by Lee » May 5th, 2017, 2:22 pm

jaXen wrote:
May 5th, 2017, 1:52 pm
Optimal wrote:

They already changed it to no requirements.
how boring

doomsy
Level 3

Post by doomsy » May 5th, 2017, 2:32 pm

make a vp limit based on tier value.

low tier = 1
mid tier =2
top tier = 3

set a tier limit, ie: if 8 top tier play, it totalise 24 but wont happen. should distribute top tier equally between squad it would be fair to every team.

so if theres 4 top tier per team + mixed mid/low , make it 15-20 max vp limit per freq in game or something.

EEL
Level 8

Post by EEL » May 5th, 2017, 3:17 pm

The decision has been made fellas. Let's have a good and fun league.
Grid

MracY
Level 2

Post by MracY » May 5th, 2017, 3:30 pm

I don't mind this format if you can find some way for every player to have fun and at least feel like they're contributing, even if they're completely screwed out of playing in flagging games.

Though I swear, steam rerelease had better not happen during this league without low tier. Seriously, if I see another release where nobody did anything, no new big events in pub that impresses newbies, nothing added /at all/ that doesn't require players to have high levels of autism to keep coming back, I'm going to be cross.

jaXen
Level 6

Post by jaXen » May 5th, 2017, 3:47 pm

MracY wrote:
May 5th, 2017, 3:30 pm
I don't mind this format if you can find some way for every player to have fun and at least feel like they're contributing, even if they're completely screwed out of playing in flagging games.

Though I swear, steam rerelease had better not happen during this league without low tier. Seriously, if I see another release where nobody did anything, no new big events in pub that impresses newbies, nothing added /at all/ that doesn't require players to have high levels of autism to keep coming back, I'm going to be cross.
Where do you think all the steam players are going to go? The most populated zone aka tw.

dreownsu
Level 5

Post by dreownsu » May 6th, 2017, 1:43 am

Dont really care about having no tiers/vps. however you will lose any "newer" or players trying to learn/get better at flagging. The only way to get better/learn is to play with top level players. This format will reduce play time of newer/mid lvl players drastically and in the end you will have fewer players interested in the league to follow. Sure some mid/lows will get to play in the main season but they will obviously get subbed if the team gets smashed. Playoffs.... well i don't expect anything but the best possible lineups squads can make play, which will most likely be the first 7-8 players that get drafted to that team (Depending of if the GM is a top pilot or not).

There is no real strategy to the draft aside from getting the "best" player available to fill a position needed vs a number of variables you had to consider when drafting with VP's. Honestly, like i said above, im indifferent to what you choose but taking away the rating system is essentially taking away the fun out of EGDL. Im sure everyone has their own opinion on this, this is just mine.
EGFL 08 - most underrated player
EGDL 09 - Champion (Sam Adams)
EGDL 11 - Champion (Nerd Down)
EGFL 2012 - Champion (DancnFairy)

pocho
Level 3

Post by pocho » May 6th, 2017, 2:59 am

Id like you to add the optional choice of doing 9v9 or 10v10 if both gms agree to it, league default is 8v8 and no squad may be forced to do 9s or 10s if they dont want to, i think this is a nice non intrusive option to get more people playing if both squads have a nice show! This also means benching less newbs

Lee
Level 10

Post by Lee » May 6th, 2017, 3:56 am

dreownsu wrote:
May 6th, 2017, 1:43 am
Dont really care about having no tiers/vps. however you will lose any "newer" or players trying to learn/get better at flagging. The only way to get better/learn is to play with top level players. This format will reduce play time of newer/mid lvl players drastically and in the end you will have fewer players interested in the league to follow. Sure some mid/lows will get to play in the main season but they will obviously get subbed if the team gets smashed. Playoffs.... well i don't expect anything but the best possible lineups squads can make play, which will most likely be the first 7-8 players that get drafted to that team (Depending of if the GM is a top pilot or not).

There is no real strategy to the draft aside from getting the "best" player available to fill a position needed vs a number of variables you had to consider when drafting with VP's. Honestly, like i said above, im indifferent to what you choose but taking away the rating system is essentially taking away the fun out of EGDL. Im sure everyone has their own opinion on this, this is just mine.
Yup, it makes sense though, gaZ who hosts league is like 7-8th pick. Having vp rules would automatically bench him.

Optimal
Level 8

Post by Optimal » May 6th, 2017, 6:11 am

Lee wrote:
May 5th, 2017, 2:22 pm
Optimal wrote:

Still i fcking do not understand how is low tier in last rounds retarded. People keep saying it, yet never bring out any arguments. This system actually gives us low vps, WHO ARE LOW VPS, not low vps in league ops minds.
This means GMs have to be alert entire draft, pick smart in also last rounds, rather then going full default and if implemented with mid-tier requirements would involve much large playerbase then any other league.

well its not rly retarded, but its very exploitable and will cause alot of upset and complaints eventually. IMO, leagues should be as clean as possible and rules should try to cover all bias aspects. Also i think going for no tier requirement and probaly having a freq max vp will be good too. I mean we have systems and formats that actually work good and are not as exploitable as other systems and rules weve used, so why not use them?

Also, me as a gm would not allow any good name to be out there in the last few rounds, i dont think any1 would. Besides this, i think Low Tier status should be for Real Low Tiers only, even if that is very hard to accomplish cause of just not having enough new players.

Otaku is a good example of this, i think i drafted him in the 8th round if i remember correctly, but he could have gone a few rounds later as no1 thought he would show, which he basically didnt, he showed to two games. Anyway, what if i did pick him up in those later rounds and he was rated low tier because of that and he started showing every game. That would instantly make it pretty unfair and take away the balance that draft leagues have.

One of the big issues with this game is the randomness it posseses. As we play we are constantly confronted with random events, like specials, lag, eats, nrg levels, gun levels etc etc. Imo this is a big issue in having a proper game of skill but these are mostly settings issues and coding issues too. Back to the point, hav ing added more randomness in tier levels is another competitiveness killer In my opinion. Especially for a draft league.

thats basically what i ment by sayin retarded
Viper Squadron Image

Smoking Blue

Lee
Level 10

Post by Lee » May 6th, 2017, 6:57 am

Optimal wrote:
May 6th, 2017, 6:11 am
Lee wrote:
May 5th, 2017, 2:22 pm
Optimal wrote:

well its not rly retarded, but its very exploitable and will cause alot of upset and complaints eventually. IMO, leagues should be as clean as possible and rules should try to cover all bias aspects. Also i think going for no tier requirement and probaly having a freq max vp will be good too. I mean we have systems and formats that actually work good and are not as exploitable as other systems and rules weve used, so why not use them?

Also, me as a gm would not allow any good name to be out there in the last few rounds, i dont think any1 would. Besides this, i think Low Tier status should be for Real Low Tiers only, even if that is very hard to accomplish cause of just not having enough new players.

Otaku is a good example of this, i think i drafted him in the 8th round if i remember correctly, but he could have gone a few rounds later as no1 thought he would show, which he basically didnt, he showed to two games. Anyway, what if i did pick him up in those later rounds and he was rated low tier because of that and he started showing every game. That would instantly make it pretty unfair and take away the balance that draft leagues have.

One of the big issues with this game is the randomness it posseses. As we play we are constantly confronted with random events, like specials, lag, eats, nrg levels, gun levels etc etc. Imo this is a big issue in having a proper game of skill but these are mostly settings issues and coding issues too. Back to the point, hav ing added more randomness in tier levels is another competitiveness killer In my opinion. Especially for a draft league.

thats basically what i ment by sayin retarded
How is it exploitable more than any other vp method. Players and gms always complain being over or underrated. Thats because tiers or vps are always set preleague and usually by random dude who possibly cannot know all. This method would make draft exactly the same as it will be now, only difference is that while compiling freq you need to also play a few low picks. How can that be a bad thing. Egdl has always been about playing with new players, introducing best to elite.
Unless Gms are retarded, noone will leave top players for last rounds. How can you exploit this system which in essence puts Gm together in charge of who they think are low vps.

As for randomness, I guess we see it differently. I loved when we also had thors in Egdl. It's supposed to be fun and unpredictable league.

jaXen
Level 6

Post by jaXen » May 6th, 2017, 7:27 am

I really liked sb's idea from the other thread. I think we should shorten the flag timer and bases in order to make games faster. We are all getting older now and it's hard for people to play really long games. The longest a tw base game can be is 30 min. I think that is plenty of time to determine who is the best team.

GAZ!
Level 5

Post by GAZ! » May 6th, 2017, 10:55 am

Lee wrote:
May 6th, 2017, 3:56 am
dreownsu wrote:

Yup, it makes sense though, gaZ who hosts league is like 7-8th pick. Having vp rules would automatically bench him.
I have never benched in EGDL you fucking moron. And I still believe I would play WITHOUT VPs, even though I don't really care if i I play or not. Im doing the zone a favor by stepping up and running a league, while all you are is a fucking cancer.

Back in your hole hobbit

GAZ!
Level 5

Post by GAZ! » May 6th, 2017, 10:59 am

Also if I changed to allow for 8v8/9v9/10v10 I'd be fine with that as well.
We'd have to figure out a way to make sure teams stay even. Like if 8v8 starts, a couple players log on late and go to 9v9, another player on one freq leaves... you'd have to spec the other player to make teams even again.

That's the only stipulation.

GAZ!
Level 5

Post by GAZ! » May 6th, 2017, 11:01 am

Last edited by GAZ! on May 6th, 2017, 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

doomsy
Level 3

Post by doomsy » May 6th, 2017, 11:47 am

i think last pick be low tier is not really good and having no tier limit is no good either. many pointed out that we really need to incorporate the mid/low tier players i dont know why there is still talk about skills and best in the zone when the game is fucking dead.

should concentrate on having a fun league where every1 can play and put in strategy for the gms.

hence my previous post:

make a vp limit based on tier value.

low tier = 1
mid tier =2
top tier = 3

set a tier limit, ie: if 8 top tier play, it totalise 24 but wont happen. should distribute top tier equally between squad it would be fair to every team.

so if theres 4 top tier per team + mixed mid/low , make it 15-20 max vp limit per freq in game or something.

we already have the tier rankings, maybe make some tweak to even it some more but we r good.

same as our old system u gotta select ur players and make them fit the limit while making sure to have the best lineup possible.

focus on just playign the same top 30 players and this league will result in a total failure, and we will lose lower tier interest in ever playing league again.

Lee
Level 10

Post by Lee » May 6th, 2017, 3:45 pm

GAZ! wrote:
May 6th, 2017, 10:55 am
Lee wrote:
dreownsu wrote:

I have never benched in EGDL you fucking moron. And I still believe I would play WITHOUT VPs, even though I don't really care if i I play or not. Im doing the zone a favor by stepping up and running a league, while all you are is a fucking cancer.

Back in your hole hobbit
You have never been benched because we have used VP or low tier system... And of course you would play now, as you have maximized the possibility, by removing the need to play low tier players. You are most probably 7-8th round pick, so yea, there you go, thats what i said.

Never questioned your effort in hosting league, gj and gl. In case you have forgot, i have hosted my fair share as well, so no need to go all insulty... Never been called a hobbit, considering i am most probably the tallest player in EG, it is actually quite funny.

MracY
Level 2

Post by MracY » May 6th, 2017, 5:19 pm

jaXen wrote:
May 5th, 2017, 3:47 pm
MracY wrote:
May 5th, 2017, 3:30 pm

Where do you think all the steam players are going to go? The most populated zone aka tw.
That's just hindsight blocking your thinking process. You think a new player is going to try tw for 2 weeks straight without hopping into eg once or twice? The reason new players don't stay in eg is because it's fucking boring.

A new player comes in and has no idea of what to do. Where's the action at? Where's the fun? All they see is a couple of people around center they can kill. Oh, but they do see 2 freqs of 5 people each that are fighting in a base! Can they join? Nope, they're too bad. Only way they can play baseduel is if they get 2 freqs comprised entirely of newbies and 1 or 2 benevolent vets.

The only interesting gameplay state for them right now is one where people from both teams take flags and try to drop them in different bases. Unfortunately for them, the zone suffers from an outdated gameplay system that predicates on active players in pub putting the jackpot just high enough to try dropping flags in a base organically, and the opposite team caring enough about the game to stop them from dropping all flags.

If this process were still ongoing, they /might/ still have something fun to do. But in the current state of eg, you will never see someone hop in for the first time and decide to play the one-shot-kill game with 5 random newbies for 2-3 hours to set up a flagging game that they don't even know exists yet. The only thing that's always active is baseduel, which they have no access to. It's just a fact that neither initial jackpots nor actual games are set up organically anymore. And even if it happens organically, the game will just be quickwon by Pocho.

So what did staff do about this the first time there was an influx of new players? Surely they tried to overhaul the way the game works, right? And they must have worked together with trench wars to make the game healthier for the both of them! Add new cool things players can get invested in! Oh, what's that you tell me? They did nothing? All they did was add a bot with useless events that nobody cares about? And they're blaming their own lack of awareness and initiative on trench wars having more players than them? And to top it off they're now giving up and trying to host a league that estranges a quarter of the player base? Oh well.

gaZ
Level 5

Post by gaZ » May 6th, 2017, 7:58 pm

Lee wrote:
May 6th, 2017, 3:45 pm
GAZ! wrote:
May 6th, 2017, 10:55 am
Lee wrote:
dreownsu wrote:

Back in your hole hobbit
You have never been benched because we have used VP or low tier system... And of course you would play now, as you have maximized the possibility, by removing the need to play low tier players. You are most probably 7-8th round pick, so yea, there you go, thats what i said.

Never questioned your effort in hosting league, gj and gl. In case you have forgot, i have hosted my fair share as well, so no need to go all insulty... Never been called a hobbit, considering i am most probably the tallest player in EG, it is actually quite funny.
I'm glad you liked the joke... But you continue to contradict yourself.

Just start complaining that league coord can't be GM, and I'll quit and we'll have nothing to complain about other than not having a league!

Woooooooooweeee

Return to “EGDLx 2017”