NEW LEAGUE ANNOUNCEMENT: EGDLx 2017

Extreme Games Draft League x 2017
RaeRae
EG Staff

NEW LEAGUE ANNOUNCEMENT: EGDLx 2017

Post by RaeRae » May 3rd, 2017, 12:56 pm

We're proud to announce the next league is going to be a good one: EGDLx 2017! Gaz+ is going to be our league coordinator, and Unplug as co-coordinator. The draft will be May 28th, giving us two weeks from the end of EGBDL. This is extended for signups and organization purposes. We ask that you tell your friends to sign up and help the community to get a good list going. FC is working on a signup bot where you can signup right in game. We'll let you know of this launch when complete.

Game Play Set up:
  • Regular Games on Sundays - 20pts for each win
  • "Olympic" type event (aka random event) - One after each game - 5pts each win
  • Weekly BD matches - 3pts each win, max of 5 per week - 15pts total
    ----------------------
    Total of up to 40pts per week
VP/Tier Ratings and Requirements:
There are NONE!

Olympic Events[/u]
This list is still in progress and subject to change. But these were some of the events we were thinking:
  • Duel
  • Hockey
  • EliteTE
  • Safewars
  • BDL2
  • Cloakwars
  • Freq Races
We will take suggestions for others.

General Managers
As of right now we have the following confirmed:
EEL
Gaz
Unlimited
Johnson
Smoking Blue
unplug

***Subject to change***

Any player interested in GMing, please ?message gaz+ in game

Any player interested in reffing, please contact Myself (RaeRae) or Gaz+ in game

So thanks for all of your inputs, and I think this will be a fun league! Leave comments/questions below

Note: I will be making it's own forum - currently locked out
RaeRae*

GAZ!
Level 5

Re: NEW LEAGUE ANNOUNCEMENT: EGDLx 2017

Post by GAZ! » May 3rd, 2017, 2:12 pm

Add GM: Johnson

TheCript
Level 6

Post by TheCript » May 3rd, 2017, 2:38 pm

Add GM: ODB
Fc> how old are you again?
TheCript> 24
TheCript> sup?
Fc> you sure you didn't mistype and you actually wanted to type 14?

^^ the level of trolling fc is stuck at ^^

gaZ
Level 5

Post by gaZ » May 3rd, 2017, 3:14 pm

ODB will not be allowed to GM this league due to previous GM fiasco

TheCript
Level 6

Post by TheCript » May 3rd, 2017, 3:33 pm

gaZ wrote:
May 3rd, 2017, 3:14 pm
ODB will not be allowed to GM this league due to previous GM fiasco
ok good... once the full list of GM's is set, ill let u know who i wont play for
Fc> how old are you again?
TheCript> 24
TheCript> sup?
Fc> you sure you didn't mistype and you actually wanted to type 14?

^^ the level of trolling fc is stuck at ^^

Mangled
Level 3

Post by Mangled » May 3rd, 2017, 3:54 pm

Won't the active players (even if they're not as skilled as some "vets") be picked first, leaving a lot of inactive wildcards as the bottom 20% ?
Mangled

jaXen
Level 6

Post by jaXen » May 3rd, 2017, 4:30 pm

X-303 wrote:
May 3rd, 2017, 3:54 pm
Won't the active players (even if they're not as skilled as some "vets") be picked first, leaving a lot of inactive wildcards as the bottom 20% ?
Which is why you should say that you will show to zero games so you can play.
Aliases: AfghaN, jaXeN, mvp

Lee
Level 10

Post by Lee » May 3rd, 2017, 4:51 pm

X-303 wrote:
May 3rd, 2017, 3:54 pm
Sure, but then GMs cannot have anyone else to blame, but themselves. In EGBDL, someone got low vp, just because someone else said he is, not based on anything. I stated from the beginning that dcshoe and thix for example are in no universe low vps and i am not really that surprised 2 teams that have used those 2 exclusively have made it to finals. No coincidence.
Also i kinda disagree, only reason there have been those wildcards in last rounds of drafts so far is because of the low vp system. Every GM knows that low vp is more valuable then random inactive vet, who is not low vp. Hence usually last rounds of drafts are not low vps, but random mid/tier pilots.
IN draft without VPs, every single GM will try to pick the best players out there and last rounds will consist of random nonames or truly bad vets, and low vp section will be more fair.

I still think introducing also mid/tier is even better idea, because now those who get picked as 70/75th will have no chance whatsoever to play in any games.
BOMBED> i dropped out cuz school is gay as fck
BOMBED> education overrated
Sephiroth> wish i could get half naked with my sister n post pics
Sephiroth> it is the truth

gaZ
Level 5

Post by gaZ » May 3rd, 2017, 5:29 pm

There aren't enough tops in zone to start 7 tops on 6 squads. The good mids will play and even more will play due to some tops not showing. It should average out right around 5tops/2mids/1low but without forcing GMs to play mids.

jaXen
Level 6

Post by jaXen » May 3rd, 2017, 5:52 pm

gaZ wrote:
May 3rd, 2017, 5:29 pm
There aren't enough tops in zone to start 7 tops on 6 squads. The good mids will play and even more will play due to some tops not showing. It should average out right around 5tops/2mids/1low but without forcing GMs to play mids.
I agree with this. I don't think you should force a mid tier play. It seems like this would complicate things for everyone (coordinators, GMs, refs) and really encourage a lot of bitching. I like this simplicity of the league and that's going to help get things rolling quickly with zero set backs.

jaXen
Level 6

Post by jaXen » May 3rd, 2017, 5:53 pm

Also, I think you should just name the league EGDL and not EGDLx. Keep it simple as it still holds the core of what EGDL is and people who come back won't be like, "wtf is this league?"

RaeRae
EG Staff

Post by RaeRae » May 3rd, 2017, 6:28 pm

jaXen wrote:
May 3rd, 2017, 5:53 pm
Also, I think you should just name the league EGDL and not EGDLx. Keep it simple as it still holds the core of what EGDL is and people who come back won't be like, "wtf is this league?"
Lol it's funny we actually discussed this and this was a major argument for it. We originally were going to go with a name like EGEML but didnt think people would trust it. We also didn't want to keep the name EGDL since it's so different, and to respect the fact this league isn't the egdl​ we know of. Think of this as EDGL* but with an x. FOR XTREME!
RaeRae*

Unplug
EG Staff

Post by Unplug » May 3rd, 2017, 6:32 pm

weby
ioth

Unplug
EG Staff

Post by Unplug » May 3rd, 2017, 6:38 pm

remark
attack mode

RaeRae
EG Staff

Post by RaeRae » May 3rd, 2017, 8:42 pm

Are you signing people up unplug? If so wrong thread LOL but I appreciate it
RaeRae*

Unplug
EG Staff

Post by Unplug » May 3rd, 2017, 9:17 pm

oh yeah..haha my bad.
its okay we got bot now

jaXen
Level 6

Post by jaXen » May 3rd, 2017, 9:44 pm

I think the points should be based on flagging and not bd. I was looking forward to flagging more rather than bd going on all week. It worked in the past for EGFL and egdl.

EEL
Level 8

Post by EEL » May 4th, 2017, 12:26 am

Get rid of the last 20 people as low tiers cmon... That is god awful egft was cancelled so we can have a egdl. DO VPS PLEASE this new low tier system for this league sucks. Or just use the rating system that is already set in place, obviously some low tiers and mids would need to be modified as promoted.
Grid

Lee
Level 10

Post by Lee » May 4th, 2017, 1:01 am

gaZ wrote:
Lol, I am not really talking about top top players, my point is that this system will heavily screw the players who get picked in rounds right before last 3-4. It has not been the case before. Originally you could still play if you were 5 vp with freq limits. Last league midtiers sort of got screwed and we also heard whining, some were luckily named low vp, others had that chance in 5v5. This league they got 0. chance.

120 players, 20 per squad ideally, people who get picked as 18/19/20th strongest probably get to play every game. Noone will ever field your 15/16/17th pick, they get screwed.

I'm surprised eg staff allows to host this as it is quite unfair towards that group. I can see alot of dissapointing players.

Lee
Level 10

Post by Lee » May 4th, 2017, 1:04 am

jaXen wrote:
May 3rd, 2017, 5:52 pm
gaZ wrote:
I agree with this. I don't think you should force a mid tier play. It seems like this would complicate things for everyone (coordinators, GMs, refs) and really encourage a lot of bitching. I like this simplicity of the league and that's going to help get things rolling quickly with zero set backs.
People were happy and refs handled when we had freq vp limits and every player had their own vp, controlling 3 tiers is neither complicated or difficult. I'm surprised you argue against it as you were so adamant to keep 3 tiers in your league.

Lee
Level 10

Post by Lee » May 4th, 2017, 1:05 am

EEL wrote:
May 4th, 2017, 12:26 am
Get rid of the last 20 people as low tiers cmon... That is god awful egft was cancelled so we can have a egdl. DO VPS PLEASE this new low tier system for this league sucks. Or just use the rating system that is already set in place, obviously some low tiers and mids would need to be modified as promoted.
Eel just cannot handle anything new :( No argument why it is awful.

rabbit!
Level 2

Post by rabbit! » May 4th, 2017, 1:45 am

Lee wrote:
May 4th, 2017, 1:01 am
Last league midtiers sort of got screwed and we also heard whining, some were luckily named low vp, others had that chance in 5v5.

Noone will ever field your 15/16/17th pick, they get screwed.

I'm surprised eg staff allows to host this as it is quite unfair towards that group. I can see alot of dissapointing players.
this, this and this

fuck logic.

rabbit!
Level 2

Post by rabbit! » May 4th, 2017, 1:48 am

EEL wrote:
May 4th, 2017, 12:26 am
DO VPS PLEASE this new low tier system for this league sucks.
also, this

Johnson
EG Staff

Post by Johnson » May 4th, 2017, 4:26 am

With that VP system, technically anybody could be considered as a low VP. That's broken in itself. I like the VPs, but the people who give them need to be scrutinised a lot more to try make them fair. Love the numbers game 8)
Johnson

Johnson
EG Staff

Post by Johnson » May 4th, 2017, 4:27 am

Lee wrote:
May 4th, 2017, 1:01 am
gaZ wrote:
Lol, I am not really talking about top top players, my point is that this system will heavily screw the players who get picked in rounds right before last 3-4. It has not been the case before. Originally you could still play if you were 5 vp with freq limits. Last league midtiers sort of got screwed and we also heard whining, some were luckily named low vp, others had that chance in 5v5. This league they got 0. chance.

120 players, 20 per squad ideally, people who get picked as 18/19/20th strongest probably get to play every game. Noone will ever field your 15/16/17th pick, they get screwed.

Not saying this system isn't flawed, but the EGBDL league was WAYYYYYY more unfair on the mid tiers. It's no comparison.
Johnson

Ioth
Level 5

Post by Ioth » May 4th, 2017, 8:30 am

Just like last league I'm gonna say, let's not use low-vp's at all. Teams losing games due to the simple condition of not having a low-vp is very bad for the league in my opinion and really takes away from the competitive edge. For the winning team it's just boring as well, unless they're that desperate for free wins.

I do understand though how certain tier players will get fucked if no system like that is implemented. With that being said, isn't the old school vp cap per freq just the best, and perhaps only way to go? The flexibility should give teams enough tools to get a full freq going while not directly screwing the low and low-mid tier of players. You could scale the the vp's down to 1-5 for example to simplify (though I guess this does decrease the flexibility I was talking about earlier).

Even though a vp-system would still screw over the overrated vp-players, but meh, everyone's always whining about being underrated anyway so fuck em right? :p

Anyways just my thoughts.

SAVE THE LANCASTER

1:Darren> i should host prized trivia
1:Darren> thing is
1:Darren> im fking stupid

GAZ!
Level 5

Post by GAZ! » May 4th, 2017, 9:23 am

There are the same amount of complaints every league. There's no way to make 100% of the people happy, nor is there a way to get all 140 people who signup regular playing time, it's just not going to happen. Some will play, some will play a lot, some won't play much, some who wouldn't get to play often in the past will be able to play because not every single player you draft will show to every game you have.

You have to be smart and draft active as well to compete in the BD portion of the event. This will allow a lot of people who dont get to start in most flagging leagues additional playing time in the zone with other skilled pilots they may or may not have played with just because they are active. You have to play 5 squad vs squad BDs a week to get maximum allowed points. If you don't play when you can you lose out on a possibility of gaining those points, which should force teams to BD even with "weaker" squaddies online.

Mangled
Level 3

Post by Mangled » May 4th, 2017, 1:33 pm

Lee wrote:
May 3rd, 2017, 4:51 pm
Also i kinda disagree, only reason there have been those wildcards in last rounds of drafts so far is because of the low vp system. Every GM knows that low vp is more valuable then random inactive vet, who is not low vp. Hence usually last rounds of drafts are not low vps, but random mid/tier pilots.
IN draft without VPs, every single GM will try to pick the best players out there and last rounds will consist of random nonames or truly bad vets, and low vp section will be more fair.

I still think introducing also mid/tier is even better idea, because now those who get picked as 70/75th will have no chance whatsoever to play in any games.
Point taken.. Although I'm still a bit sceptical on GMs picking inactive vets over active newbies. My opinion is just based on my hunch though, I don't have any stats on how many players usually sign up (guessing there's a huge variance between different leagues), how many sign up and bail, etc. I guess I might be underestimating player activity..

I really like your idea about including mid tier. But compared to EGBDL I'd complicate the system a bit by assigning VP-s to the tiers.
Something like this:
Low tier - 0vp
Mid tier - 2vp
Top tier - 3vp
Depending on the event (team size), team gets to spend 9 VP for 4v4 (3top+1low, or 4 mid if they don't have a low online), 11 VP for 5v5.. you probably get where this is going.

This way, you don't autolose when no lows are online.
Mangled

jaXen
Level 6

Post by jaXen » May 4th, 2017, 4:34 pm

At this point in the game I honestly think it's better to screw over the low tier players rather than that. There is a large fluctuation of players coming in and out of the game that used to play and I think it's good to try to keep those players around. When an old vet comes back, I think they are much more likely to stick around if they see a lot of good players that they recognize still playing this game rather then a couple random noobs. Players coming back would much rather play against old Blood players rather than old Wanted players. The flaw with having a low tier system is that it has players that are just bad rather than new players. Someone like voevod who has played this game for a couple of years yet still plays in a lev in baseduels. He's not a low tier because he's new but he's just bad. Same goes for cyclone. Why cater to these people at this point in the game when they aren't going to be what attracts and keeps vets playing this old game that they love? So all this being said, I say we go no vps and no tiers.

EEL
Level 8

Post by EEL » May 4th, 2017, 5:46 pm

Lee look at the last two rounds of egbdl draft and think how many of them actually showed up.

I'm going to hold out on this league unless we change the low tier system. I agree with jaxen remove tiers/vps, I'll gm if we go that route :S
Grid

Return to “EGDLx 2017”