The Oops I forget to post this recap

Extreme Games Baseduel League (Draft)

Moderators: jaXen, EGDL Management

jaXen
Level 6

The Oops I forget to post this recap

Post by jaXen » June 7th, 2017, 1:59 am

This is the long overdue and unfinished recap that I had done.

I am very pleased with how this league turned out. There were a few hiccups and learning experiences along the way but I think the vast majority of the players would agree that this was a fun and competitive league. One of the main goals I had going into this league was to have as many squads as possible. I felt like we could have 8 squads and there wasn’t a single person that thought this could happen. I pushed for GMs to sign up and I pestered people every day to sign up. This allowed the most initial signups for a league since the EGDL in 2014. Another thing that I looked up is the last time we have had a league with 8+ squads was in EGDL 2012. I know this provided a great competitive league because there were a lot more surprises for making playoffs and also the outcome of the playoffs.

I am sure that some would disagree but I think there was a lot of success in having this tier system. I wanted to do something different than VPs since there can be huge flaws in the VP system. Obviously no rating system can be perfect and there were players that were under and overrated in the tier system. However, overall I think there was a great mix of newer and older players that got a chance to play.

This was a 4v4 league and the chance for 5v5 was a bonus. I couldn’t believe how well the shows were for the games on Sundays. With past leagues, 33% was a pretty good rule of thumb for showrate. I looked back at stats and 7 of the 8 squads had 8+ members play or show in one given weekend meaning that almost every squad had >50% of its roster show for at least one game. I only did the numbers through like half of the weeks but I tallied up how many games were 4v4 and 5v5. At the time that I did this, there were 25 games that were 4v4 and 18 games that were 5v5. I am sure more people would’ve liked to see some more 5v5 games, I think people underestimate how often an extra man (or woman) got to play.

Best GM: Eel

Although Eel did not end up winning the league, I was very impressed by his GM skills. Despite an underwhelming draft, he was able to get his players to show up and be active. He lead the league with how many unscheduled matches they had during the week which gave them some good squad chemistry. Another highlight that makes him stand out to me was his FA. Although the one was just luck, he made a bold trade and got one of the best players in EGBDL with Cust. He was constantly making trades trying to fine tune his lineup. His team was a threat to take out any squad on any given weekend.

Worst GM: ODB

Odb proved himself over and over again, that he is truly one of the worst GMs in the history of EG. The mistakes and headaches that he caused are endless. It all started with an ugly draft where he had questionable picks, had a pick skipped due to time and ending up with cyclone whom thecript told him not to get. This spiraled to an unhappy roster where he was attempting to make trades until he disappeared. He was removed then added again with the promise that he will be better at communicating only to again disappear. The inconsistency showed with his multiple alias changes and multiple squad name changes throughout the league, likely breaking records there as well (now I see why most of the time these changes are not allowed).

Best killer: Cust

This guy was the golden calf for Extort. I remember Eel going ape-shit about not letting Praised get this guy in FA. He made a big trade for the FA spot giving Gaz Hoontar and Anderson. I thought Eel was crazy for putting this much stock in Cust. I was definitely proved wrong and the scales from my eyes were peeled in how good this guy is. He owned the top 10 kills per minute stats consistently. His presence on the freq can make cyclone look like a good pilot. Legend has it that Cust once reached 1600 elo in baseduel.

Biggest Underdog: Fanatik

I had Fanatik missing the playoffs in the beginning of the league but Doomsy really proved that he can get the most out of his players. Despite not having enough “top tier” players, his team was competitive. He was a good GM because he gave all of his players play time and I think his roster was active because of it. Although they weren’t able to do any damage in the playoffs (partly due to a no show for low tier), they proved a lot of people wrong in thinking they were a pushover.

Biggest Flop: Viper

By far the biggest surprise team in not living up to expectations. I picked this team to go to the finals in the beginning of the league. I think they could’ve turned things around with some different FA choices and a couple of trades but they just never improved on their lineup.

Biggest Upset: Praised over Jesus Shit

Although most people thought Praised was a tough squad, they consistently underperformed and were the 5th ranked squad. They essentially had no chance in the playoffs due to the lack of chemistry and subs. Jesus Shit was 4-0 at the time of Week 5 and Praised had a pathetic 1-3 record.

Most Honorable: GET DICKED

Self explanatory here in that they finished out the league strong despite being eliminated and having all the cards stacked up against them.

Coordinator Killer: Odb/SB

Odb was such a headache. I gave this guy so many opportunities to get his team together but he continued to fail. Not only that, he would always try and point blame at me for the results of his team. SB was another guy that was always giving me shit and I spent more time dealing with these two (and TheCript as well) than all the others players combined. On the other hand, I often went to SB for his thoughts and advice because I knew he would try and find a problem with something so it helped me fine tune the league a lot and I did appreciate that.

Most Prepared Draft: SB

Although Viper didn’t turn out the way SB wanted, I was very impressed with his draft. Not just in the players that he picked but how quickly he picked his players. I remember he didn’t spend more than 15 seconds a pick because he knew exactly who he wanted to make the team he envisioned. He put a lot of thought in the lineup he was trying to create.

Biggest steal in draft: TwistNTurn

Turned out to be one of the best low tiers in the league. He was the 9th low tier picked and wasn’t picked until the 5th round (the first low tier was picked in the 3rd round).

Best Trade: Dbz/nosydawg/remark (8thwonder) for TheCript/Nicedreams/Thix (GET DICKED)

It was between this one and Eel’s trade of Hoontar for FA pick (which was Cust). Since the cust trade was mentioned before I figured I would give this trade a shoutout. 8thWonder got 2 starters out of this trade and GET DICKED added some much needed top tier players. Unfortunately, GD wasn’t smark enough to keep Remark on their squad.

Worst Trade: Tidal fire (Extort) for Remark (GET DICKED)

Remark turned out to be one of the most reliable low tier players. It also turns out that remark is quite remarkable in a spider (even better than what he is in a terr). I don’t think Tidal fire played one game? If he did, he wasn’t much of an impact for his squad.

Regular Season Warriors: Extort

With a whooping 76 points in unscheduled matches, these guys were warriors in making things active. I was hoping there would be more of this with 8 squads but unfortunately the smaller rosters didn’t allow for this as much as I would’ve liked to see.
Aliases: AfghaN, jaXeN, mvp

Optimal
Level 8

Re: The Oops I forget to post this recap

Post by Optimal » June 7th, 2017, 5:44 am

was indeed a big let down from viper and mainly myself offcourse as i am the leader, i did however get to play with people i like and im glad they had a great time and had to chance to play alot.
Viper Squadron Image

Smoking Blue

gaZ
Level 5

Post by gaZ » June 7th, 2017, 7:34 am

The Hoontar/Cust trade benefited both teams almost equally.

Unlimited
Level 4

Post by Unlimited » June 7th, 2017, 12:27 pm

Well damn. Not one shout out for having an undefeated regular season? how many times has a squad done that.. Oh well nice review other than that.
Colonel Lag> 275 consecutive kills? I'm lucky to get 2 consecutive kills!

gaZ
Level 5

Post by gaZ » June 7th, 2017, 1:02 pm

Unlimited wrote:
June 7th, 2017, 12:27 pm
Well damn. Not one shout out for having an undefeated regular season? how many times has a squad done that.. Oh well nice review other than that.
Don't feel left out, We got no mention either.

jaXen
Level 6

Post by jaXen » June 7th, 2017, 2:08 pm

Unlimited wrote:

Yeah I just posted what I had from before playoffs so I didn't recap that but I'll add to it ;)

Unlimited
Level 4

Post by Unlimited » June 7th, 2017, 5:02 pm

jaXen wrote:
June 7th, 2017, 2:08 pm
Unlimited wrote:

Yeah I just posted what I had from before playoffs so I didn't recap that but I'll add to it ;)
Don't bother.
Colonel Lag> 275 consecutive kills? I'm lucky to get 2 consecutive kills!

Optimal
Level 8

Post by Optimal » June 8th, 2017, 5:09 am

shoutout to jaxen for hosting the league and taking a lot of care in what he was doing. Even though i sometimes felt his final choices were off and that he seems to be deluded and that hes a terrible player, it was a great league. Good job
Viper Squadron Image

Smoking Blue

jaXen
Level 6

Post by jaXen » June 8th, 2017, 11:56 pm

Optimal wrote:
June 8th, 2017, 5:09 am
shoutout to jaxen for hosting the league and taking a lot of care in what he was doing. Even though i sometimes felt his final choices were off and that he seems to be deluded and that hes a terrible player, it was a great league. Good job
Hahah thanks I guess. I would always get your opinion because I knew you would challenge me whenever you could and I think that helped me make it a good league.

Optimal
Level 8

Post by Optimal » June 9th, 2017, 4:02 am

i wouldnt call it challenging you, if a rule or guideline doesnt make sense it has to be adressed. Also not applying rules doenst make any sense either. So im not challenging you, but merely calling you out on your mentally challenged thinking.
Viper Squadron Image

Smoking Blue

Return to “EGBDL 2017”