EGDL Stat Compilation

Moderator: dreownsu

1l
Level 1

EGDL Stat Compilation

Post by 1l » February 17th, 2017, 10:27 pm

The impact rating is a formula that combines many stats to try to provide a single number to use to measure how much impact a player had on their team through the season. If anyone wants the spreadsheet to play around with or have, msg me and I can email it to you.

I wish the bot had a way to collect the stats from all players that played in the game, not just screencapture of those who finished it. I guess the stats will be more reliable for baseduel league as you can't sub mid round, right? Then you can get everyone's stats.
EGDL2016STATS-.png
EGDL2016STATS-.png (359.47 KiB) Viewed 299 times
Last edited by 1l on February 18th, 2017, 10:05 am, edited 2 times in total.

1l
Level 1

Re: EGDL Stat Compilation

Post by 1l » February 17th, 2017, 10:33 pm

Damn this shit is kinda illegible. When I hosted the image it turned to shit. I have a pdf, but dont know how to get that on here. Whatever if you wanna see more i can send you the pdf and/or the chart, just msg me
Last edited by 1l on February 18th, 2017, 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

DaZZ!
Level 3

Post by DaZZ! » February 18th, 2017, 2:03 am

I believe the bot(s) stores game stats (in-memory) of every player who has played during a match. Therefore I think it should be fairly straightforward to add a function to print the stats of every player who has played during a match. For example, sending a private message to the bot to print all the game stats. Of course I can't be sure as I haven't taken a look at the source code nor do I have experience with the bots.

But yeah, that's quite hard to read.

Ioth
Level 5

Post by Ioth » February 18th, 2017, 5:20 am

You can share the xls file via attachment when posting right?
If that's possibly yes please I'd love to see your stat sheet!

SAVE THE LANCASTER

1:Darren> i should host prized trivia
1:Darren> thing is
1:Darren> im fking stupid

1l
Level 1

Post by 1l » February 18th, 2017, 10:07 am

The attachment feature won't let me attach .xls or even .pdf files either. I did go back and attached a higher res .png to the original post that is at least legible when you save it and zoom in some.

Optimal
Level 8

Post by Optimal » February 18th, 2017, 10:31 am

This is actually pretty interesting but we could discuss on how to have a more accurate result for next league. but it seems kind of correct, altho bacons impact on the few games he showed have been huge, there must be a way to get a better more correct result
Viper Squadron Image

Smoking Blue

Lee
Level 10

Post by Lee » February 18th, 2017, 1:28 pm

Optimal wrote:This is actually pretty interesting but we could discuss on how to have a more accurate result for next league. but it seems kind of correct, altho bacons impact on the few games he showed have been huge, there must be a way to get a better more correct result
It is impossible to really determine the success of individual players at times based only on stats. Lets say there is a player who only shows to playoffs for last 10 minutes each game, but basically heros nme base and wins the game alone for his squad and title.
He could be MVP, but in reality his stats show nothing.

Historically we have tried 2 things:
a) in some league we asked the freqs to vote on opponent and own team mvp. Then published it after collecting votes. It was fairly popular but in end phases typical eg started using this more as kindergarten humor. Aka voting cyclone mvp for finals etc. U get my point

b) having staffers rate the players like in football from 1-10. Then we discovered refs have so different ability in actual player performances.
BOMBED> i dropped out cuz school is gay as fck
BOMBED> education overrated
Sephiroth> wish i could get half naked with my sister n post pics
Sephiroth> it is the truth

poemZX_
Level 6

Post by poemZX_ » February 18th, 2017, 3:00 pm

These stats and so called 'impact rating' reveal very little about true impact IN game. This has always been the case in EG with stats. They only tell part of the story and never give you the full picture.
I dont quit on you. You dont quit on me. We're a team.

Optimal
Level 8

Post by Optimal » February 19th, 2017, 4:27 am

Im not saying the results can be 100% accurate, but it can be improved
Viper Squadron Image

Smoking Blue

1l
Level 1

Post by 1l » February 19th, 2017, 7:38 am

Feel free to shred the impact rating guys, it's just for fun and generate discussion... please don't take too seriously. It could definitely be done differently and improved. The point of it though was to look at the WHOLE season.. the fact that for example Bacon only played in such few games gave him a lower score. When making it I was thinking more about having a rating basically trying to rate "how worth it was this player to draft." so draft priority by their impact on the season as a whole (this whole thing clearly is somewhat impacted by how accurate their vp rating was to begin with) and since your vp and losses factor into your score (along with the other stats) so you have to put up good stats and wins, especially if drafted as a high vp, in order to rate high. It's just numbers and I totally agree with you guys that it doesn't provide the whole story, it does provide some of it I'd argue, but that's why you gotta watch the games. The stats don't tell you that in the last game I played well for 4 hours and then coughed up the neut on a boneheaded decision and probably cost us the game and season. :cry: :mad: :neutral: :lol:

I do think the stats will tell a bit more of the picture for EGBDL than for flagging leagues when more complex factors like flags and multiple separate base battles are not part of the story. The stats are just fun to look at, clearly the numbers can't tell you if maybe a player was largely a bum for a whole match and getting rocked but perhaps got a lucky attach and killed their anchor and won team the match..sometimes it just takes a small stretch of good play to be the hero. Just no way for a spreadsheet of numbers alone to tell you that.

As Lee points out you could add some kind of additional rating factor via a vote for maybe top few MVPs of each match from both teams rated by teammates+spectators (or ideally an unbiased panel of judges) and add that into the stat sheet giving those pilots some kind of bonus points.
Last edited by 1l on February 19th, 2017, 10:04 am, edited 6 times in total.

1l
Level 1

Post by 1l » February 19th, 2017, 8:21 am

I'd also just add that when rating and factoring in stats maybe it is more useful to compare across players split up by position groups.. as pretty much no stat will fairly provide an overall rating that is meaningful when comparing stats of an mfr vs someone playing a3 against one another. Problem is actually getting the numbers, especially if players change positions mid match. Maybe it works better for baseduel since positions are probably more clearly defined.

Return to “EGDL Fall 2016”